Thursday 22 May 2014

Thursday, or Thereabouts - May 22, 2014

A summer love

Oh the fragrance is just so intoxicating. My heart sings, my lungs full to the brim with the heavenly bouquet. I skip. I leap. I shout. I dance with joy.

A machine hums along with me, offering a perfect bass note and throbbing vibrato to my ode to joy. Slender green dresses fill the air, swirling in the sunlight before floating to the ground, their moment in the ballet complete. Life is good. But then a puff of blue-grey smoke, a sputter, a cough, introduce an unwritten fermata into the musical score.

Damn!  I'm anxious to start the music again. I turn to face the powerhouse square-on, grab on to the starter cord and give it a good yank. Nothing. Again. Nothing. A third time. Nothing. Now the air full of "expletives deleted's." This action between my right shoulder and the starter cord is not in the choreography. I'm desperate to return to the dance.

One more almighty pull.
A cough, a sputter, a puff of blue-grey smoke and wonders of wonders, miracles of miracles, the bass and percussion sections roar to life.

The performance begins again, a perfect bass line grounding full fledged joy, rumbling through my bones, vibrating in the depths of my soul, propelling me into a new summertime.
How I love mowing the lawn!


©2014 April Hoeller

No comments:

Post a Comment