Monday 26 May 2014

Monday Moanings - May 26, 2014

Signs of Summer

It was a great weekend, though now I could use a day or three off to recover. The deck got scrubbed. The patio furniture got hauled out of the attic and put up. The first al fresco Sunday breakfast was savoured in glorious sunshine. The lawns got cut. AND my love and I stacked (and split when necessary) about a third of the winter firewood that was delivered last Tuesday. How many other people do you know who spend gorgeous summer weekends stacking firewood? I think it's our claim to fame.



Every year just as the weather begins to warm up, sometime between the last week in May and the middle of June, the big truck rolls up the street, backs into our drive and dumps three bush cords of split (a few bits not so split) firewood. It's a true sign that summer is on the doorstep.



The neighbours or anyone else who happens to drive by might have a different take. I've seen the head shaking and laughter. I've seen the jaw drops. I've seen the horror on their faces. Have no fear my friends, you are not stuck in a time warp that swallowed summer; the warm, sunny, flowery and downright sultry days are not lost; and we are not the weirdos on the street (oh well maybe that part is debatable). The way has been paved for summer's flourish - our firewood has been delivered. Give us another two weeks and it will all be stacked, ready to bask in the swelter of the dog days, ready to be seasoned for the winds of November.



Cheers!



©2014 April Hoeller


1 comment:

  1. aahhh! and smart you are too!...most around here get their wood later in summer and swelter in the full summer humidity whilst I sit back and watch w. a cold one....my 1st BBQ (pork tenderloin) Is done and resting comfortably under a tent of foil...taters roasting in the oven...and no sounds of woodworking (electric wise) next door ...whew!!
    cheers back!!

    ReplyDelete