Thursday 11 August 2011

Opening gambit...

I've thought about a writing blog for a long time, and today (fanfare!!) thought produced action.  After what seemed like a long time, I think I have the setup that is good enough for the time being.

So, what's occupying space in my mind today?  A jumble of things - the riots in England, a friend with stage IV colon cancer, regaining control of my house (aka getting rid of the junk) and when am I going to sit down and do the writing I keep saying I'm going to do. 

Well there really isn't much I can do about the riots except rant about the 'rewards' of bringing up kids without boundaries, without restrictions, without consequences.  Reap what we sow...blah, blah, blah, and British PM Cameron said about as much today in parliament.  I have often thought that there does come a time when so called human rights are pushed to their extreme and suddenly become human wrongs. I have no great wisdom to offer on this matter, no elegant solution, just a thought or two and not a little grief.

My friend with colon cancer?  Cancer is so unfair.  She is 46 and I helped rescue her from a highly abusive marriage 7 years ago. She lost everything, including her 3 sons as their dad was able to buy them off with playstations and the like. She moved in with her Dad and put herself through college and paid all her lawyer costs. The surgery was Saturday morning. They did the bowel resection but also had to do a gastric resection as the cancer had invaded the duodenum. There are tumours on her adrenal glands and 6 tumours in/on her liver. So not fair, hardly ever is. And not much I can do but accompany. Well there is one thing I can do and it is to send out this plea:  When the md's tell you that because of pre-existing conditions or history, you should have a colonscopy every 2 years, DO IT! 

Regaining control of my house? For the moment,  I'll take the Scarlett O'Hara pledge: "Tomorrow is another day."

And sitting down and writing?  I think I've just done that! 
Cheers!

p.s. Tonight's wine is a 2004 Hernder Estates Merlot.  I'll let you know what I think of it.

2 comments:

  1. The longest journey begins with a single step, April. Glad you took it, and I will be reading whenever you want to share. Hugs... Vaughn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete